Monthly Archives: December 2004

2005 Candidate Statements

Posted on by tepiastar

Please click the title to see the candidate statements submitted so far.

Astrophysics Meeting – Fri. 12/17 (Directions added)

Posted on by tepiastar

The meeting starts at 7:30, in the classroom behind the Centennial Heritage Museum. The next lecture in the new series from Dr. Fillipenko is titled “The Stuff of the Cosmos.” From the program notes: “We live in a bizarre universe where the visible matter constitutes less than 1% of all that exists.” This lecture discusses the other 99% – what we have learned in recent years, and what we still don’t know.

Don Lynn has promised to bring more recent pictures from the space program, with explanations, and we’ll have our usual discussion period(s), and maybe even some Christmas treats!
For more information, please contact Chris Buchen at For directions, please click on the title to this article.

How to Use Your Telescope Class on Jan. 7, 7:30 p.m.

Posted on by tepiastar

Note: The class will take place even if it’s raining – but we’ll be inside the classroom instead of outside.

Did you get a telescope as a gift but can’t figure out how to set it up? Do you have a telescope lying around the house that you can’t get to work right? Bring your telescopes and your problems to our free “How to Use Your Telescope” class on Friday, 1/7/05 at 7:30 p.m. at the Centennial Heritage Museum in Santa Ana. For details, directions, and to download a flyer on the class with a map, please click on the title.

If you know how to use any type of telescope, please come as a volunteer to help out it’s always a lot of fun, and we volunteers learn a lot, too!

Member’s Night presentation links

Posted on by tepiastar

A collection of links presented at the December 10th OCA meeting.

Nominate Candidates for the Board through 8:00 p.m. Sunday, 12/12/04!

Posted on by tepiastar

We agreed at the general meeting on Friday, 12/10/04, to extend the time for nominating candidates for any of the Board positions to Sunday night. The cut-off is now 8:00 p.m. on Sunday, 12/12/04. I’ll finalize the ballot then – so be sure to get your nominations in!
For how to make your nominations, please click on the title to this article…

President’s Message – December 2004

Posted on by tepiastar

By Barbara Toy   The year continues speeding along its cycle, and here we are at the Holiday Season – by the time this gets to you, Thanksgiving will be […]

Welcome to Hassi Norlen as our new Website Editor!

Posted on by tepiastar

It’s official! Hassi Norlen has now taken over the duties of Website Editor from Russ Sipe, completing the new website management team. Hari Dudani is our Technical Webmaster, dealing with the “nuts and bolts” side of maintaining and improving the website, while Hassi will be dealing with the content aspects of the site.

Hari and Hassi – thank you both for taking on these responsibilities, and we look forward to seeing what the two of you will be doing with the site in the future!

Russ Sipe and Liam Kennedy – our deepest thanks to both of you for all you have done to make the site what it is today!