|You must login to access member-only information
Nojum (Iranian Astronomy Magazine) welcomes OCA members for Venus transitFirst report from the US astronomy group currently in Iran for the Venus transit.
By: Liam Kennedy | Source: via Anna Kennedy
June 5, 2004 8:12PM PDT
Early June and a group of US, German and British astronomers (including OCA members Liam Kennedy and Hassan Mahvelati) are on an extraordinary visit to Iran to view the Venus transit. Their 18-day journey is taking in many historic sites and encouraging contact with local enthusiasts and professionals. Among these is Babak Tafreshi, Editor of "Nojum" - the only Iranian Astronomy magazine. Babak's wife, Shadi, translates the content into English for the website. The English-version website is www.nojum.net. Take a look at the site and expect further news (and images) from the travellers on the day of the Venus transit. A video steam and live images will be provided from a site in Tehran and also from the historic tomb of Cyrus the Great.
One of the trips will be to Shadat-Shah, which has the largest Iranian Astronomy club of 1,000 people (and this from a village of 10,000 people). Donations of equipment from OCA members will be made to the club during the visit.
- OCA Members ... Are you published yet?
- Behind-the-scenes tour of Palomar Observatory just for OCA Members
- Local Astronomy in Better Homes and Gardens
- 3/27/04 Jupiter triple shadow transit observing report
- Dennis Mammana talk at Leisure World Astronomy Club
- The 2005 RTMC Astronomy Expo is Almost Here!
- Beginners Astronomy Class - Intro to Astrophotography
- Astronomy A Go-Go: The Latest Space Buzz, On The Go
- Venus Express Ground Observing Project
- This is ASTRONOMY JEOPARDY!
- First international Sidewalk Astronomy Night, May 19, 2007
- April 21st Astronomy Day at the Orange Mall
- Death Valley National Park Astronomy Week, Jan 28 - Feb 2
- 100 Hrs of Astronomy with the OCA
- OCC Teacher of the Year is Astronomy Professor